new member here

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ritz

Post by Ritz »

There is supposed to be a plug in version (PHEV) coming later this year but not much info on it yet. A few details here http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/kia/niro/9 ... -at-geneva

h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

hi Alexsala I had i30 but was diesel. However your question of fuel consumption on the hills to work can be answered. Generally the car will use about the same petrol up hill as the I30 but the moment you are on a level or downhill the fuel used will be less wth the Niro, particularly down hill when the Engine could be off unless air con/ heating is in high demand. Your dealer should lend you a Niro for test drive and simulate your drives to work.
h2onorth
alexsala

Post by alexsala »

h2onorth wrote:hi Alexsala I had i30 but was diesel. However your question of fuel consumption on the hills to work can be answered. Generally the car will use about the same petrol up hill as the I30 but the moment you are on a level or downhill the fuel used will be less wth the Niro, particularly down hill when the Engine could be off unless air con/ heating is in high demand. Your dealer should lend you a Niro for test drive and simulate your drives to work.
h2onorth
having the car for a couple of days would be ideal but i´m not sure they do that here in Spain. as for my consumption i have to spend 30€ weekly for those daily 20km, it seems exesive to me but some people tell me it´s normal, beeing able to lower that consumption or not is the deciding factor for switching cars as i am still happy with the i30
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Hi alexsala, visit the Kia website and click on Upcoming Vehicles. Also try searching "Kia Niro plug in" on Google. Let us all know if you're still having trouble....
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
alexsala

Post by alexsala »

yes i did manage to find some info, but there is nothing on the price nor for whene it´s due.
Steve

Post by Steve »

The problem with the Niro plug in is that the car was only designed to be a hybrid , what they plan to do is put another battery in the boot , where the spear wheel goes , and they say it will only do about 30 miles on a full charge , of course , once the battery is depleted , the engine will kick in to charge it . So really what more are you getting . And it will cost more ... To me it seems like a pointless exercise , as you all know , the Niro drives on battery 30% of the time when local driving .... Hyundai Ioniq has 3 models .... Full battery . plug in Hybrid . Hybrid , and as we know Hyundai is Kia . So perhaps one of there Niro designers got his maths wrong. Or its just another after thought to add to there collection .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
Suman

Post by Suman »

Many people in cities have a daily commute of around 10 miles each way. In those cases, a person could charge their Plugin Hybrid overnight and get to work and back without using a drop of fuel.

The cost per mile with electricity is about £0.02 if you estimate 20 miles realistic range from the PHEV battery.
The cost per mile with petrol is about £0.08 with petrol prices as they are and the assumed fuel efficiency of the standard hybrid version about 60mpg.

That's a compelling case for a PHEV for many people.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Spot on, Suman. However, the current Niro cossets its battery, seemingly only allowing a charge range between 35-70% (based on my experience) to maximise its life. So what about the plug-in battery which will regularly hit 100%, and quite often discharge down to 10%, or lower, what protects that battery? Possibly looking at a max life of three years, like phones?????
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Steve

Post by Steve »

I have been having a look at how much it will cost to charge a low battery in the up and coming Niro plug in ...... The battery in the car will be just under 9Kw , which is 36amps @ 250V .... A 10 hour charge @ 3.6 Amps ( 900 watts ) , and it will cost £1.39 (13.87p per hour ).... so , it will run for 34 miles at the cost of £1.39 , and of course if you go up hill the engine will still kick in , as 43Kw motor is not powerful enough to pull over a Ton of car up a hill...... Calculated using the UK Average rate of 15.41p/kWh (March 2017 tariff)
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Alexsala. You may know now that the plug in Niro was shown at Geneva motor show and is to be available later this year. It has 8.9 kilowatt battery compared to 1.7 kilowatt on hybrid version. Depending on country you are in availability and price is yet unknown. On the plug in version EV is around 30miles max presently. Regs h2onorth

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post