Niro self charging hybrid wouldn’t start

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
JezzaR

Post by JezzaR »

I have a 2016 Niro hybrid. It has worked perfectly since acquired. I drove to France about a month ago. Drove back in 2 days arriving on a Sunday. Drove c900 miles with no problems. Got home and following day went to fill up. Turned off engine and filled up but then car would not re start. The engine immobiliser light would not go off and the car would not start. Called Kia dealer and they could not suggest anything except call recovery company and bring car back. Called AA and they got car started and told me to drive straight to dealer and do not turn off engine. Kia had it for 24hours but could find no fault. This has cost me over £100 to join AA and Kia says it’s not their responsibility. Wife now not keen on driving car in case happens again. Anyone else had this issue of non starter?

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Have you tried changing the battery in your key? The immobiliser light should switch off when the key is detected, it won't if the battery is nearly flat. The key in my hybrid lasted around 3 years.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
JezzaR

Post by JezzaR »

Thanks. I have changed the key fob but KIA has never suggested this.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Not clear whether my suggestion has solved your problem. Not surprised that Kia couldn't solve your problem, it's a recurring theme in these forum.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all
Happened to me during covid, 12 volt battery had a faulty cell and intermittently the car would not start. Usually the delay to restart was 1/2 an hour to an hour but it always restarted. I did change the battery however shortly after this and no subsequent problems.
Don't buy a kia battery rubbish and expensive. Well over a £100 and you can get a 4 yr warranty from on line sources at well under £90v ( 2yrs ago)
Ok fitting varies depending on build of car the 16/17 ones are in the boot quarter panel but its not that tricky to remove etc
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

My car refused to start first thing in the morning in the home garage a couple of months ago. Called Green Flag and the technician noticed that the rear hatch was not fully closed when he went to check the 12v Battery in the boot.. He tested the battery and it was flat - probably because the boot interior light had been on for 2 days with the boot partly open. He jump started the car and I dug out my battery charger and charged it.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post