Sat-nav oddities

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

I'm currently on holiday in mainland Europe and with the Niro having European mapping built in, I was pleased not to have had to replace my old satnav before we set off, since Tomtom have stopped supporting the model I had (allegedly owing to the mapping becoming more detailed and thus filling the memory capacity; one could argue cynically that they are engineering in obsolescence).

Anyhow, a few events in the last couple of days (in northern Italy) have left me somewhat disconcerted / disillusioned with the satnav. Firstly, twice yesterday the satnav took me off a main road, detoured around a couple of blocks in a city and then back onto the same road (which had no blockages or problems) 100m or so later - this I found time consuming and potentially hazardous as navigating the junctions back onto the main road was not straightforward. Today, it took me off the main road through Genoa, about 2 miles around the city centre and then back on to exactly the same junction?!

Secondly, today the satnav told me to turn right at a junction; I have been wary owing to the issues above and deliberately checked before blithely following the recommendation - fortunately so as it was the wrong way up a one way street.

Has anyone else experienced similar issues?

Steve

Post by Steve »

Hi
yes . We went to Porthmadog Wales for a day out , and i set the sat nav .... It took me all over the place , though a lot of very narrow country lanes , all over the Welsh hills , very scenic , but hard work .... I think you need to go into settings , and tick and un-tick things . But to be honest , the sat nav isn't very good . Google maps is far better if you use android auto .
Steve
Niro 2 in Black . LED headlight conversion .
Previous car.... Ford Kuga 163 . 2011
Bigtone1965

Post by Bigtone1965 »

Yes this tom tom sat nav
Loved my 16 plate ceed gt one
But after a few strange thing i.e. Circles in
Harrogate and few off and back on motorways
Just used it as much as I could back and forth to work ,
Even to the shops and after a week of this .
I'm pleased to say the last 2 weeks have been faultless,
Even down to the traffic delays etc
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi all. Are we saying car sat nav is ok providing settings are set up correctly, if so what settings do you have to avoid silly detours?
Have you all decided to use Android auto or apple auto instead.
What do you think about Waze. Have not used it for navigating only left live on familiar journeys for experience
h2onorth
Suman

Post by Suman »

I much prefer Waze running through Android Auto. I've been using it for a couple of months now as a beta tester (and for years on my phone when it was still legal) and it's much better than the built-in sat nav. No news on Car Play support for Waze so if you have an iPhone then I don't recommend it for legal reasons in the UK.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
JimT

Post by JimT »

I don't know if this will help as this doesn't refer to the built in niro system but Tom-tom can be a bit temperamental on it's settings. I have a Start-60 model and can set "fastest route" or "eco route". Ticking Eco will take me down some very interesting single track country lanes without being very economical. Ticking Fastest will (usually) keep me on motorways/dual carriageway/A-roads for much of the time. There are other settings but those (for me) are the main ones.
Now: niro 2 (red)
Previous cars:
Citroen C3 Picasso (auto)
Renault grand scenic 1.5dci on 17" wheels (awful)
Bigtone1965

Post by Bigtone1965 »

Must say I had one encounter with the sat nav
Sending me all over the place in Harrogate.
But since that one time it has behaved 100% of the time ,
And to be honest couldn't fault it or the traffic
Updated since .
Johnrussell

Post by Johnrussell »

I down loaded android auto on to my phone, but I'm not too good on all this technical stuff. How do I get the sat nav to work. At present I am connected my phone via 4g and data roaming.
Suman

Post by Suman »

If you have android auto on the phone, you need to plug it into the USB socket next to the two 12v charger sockets. A short cable with a 90degree usb connector at the phone end is helpful for this.

Once it's plugged in, the Android Auto icon should appear on the car's home screen. Tap that and you're ready to go.
Kia Stinger GTS in Panthera Metallic Grey
Previously: Kia Niro First Edition in Pearlescent White, Mercedes GL 420 cdi, Lexus LS460 SE-L, Renault Laguna Initiale 2.0 dci, Lexus LS 460 SE-L, Renault Megane 1.9 dci, Toyota Supra 3.0 Turbo
Splang

Post by Splang »

Hi
Does anyone know if there is a way to automatically connect to personal hotspot on iPhone. At the moment I have to manually activate the hotspot on my phone and then it connects.