Car starter external batteries

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
deguy

Post by deguy »

Hopefully I'll never need it with the Niro, but I bought an external battery car starter something like this and was wondering whether it can still be used with the 2017 Niro hybrid should one be unlucky enough to have a flat battery and can't start the car. Anyone know for sure, my dealer has been so useless on other matters that they are my last resort.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
Previously: Mercedes B-Class 200CDI Autotronic

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

I've just ordered a booster too. No idea if it will work with the hybrid system, but happy to try it if the event arises. I'm guessing that as the two battery systems are separate it will be like a normal car.
Mike R
Niro 2 Black [no additional driving aids] Since 1 Sept 2016
Previously: Sportage KX2awd on11 plate
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I have a jump starter battery and have used it. See my post about my flat 12v battery.
If the 12v battery goes flat you can only get in the driver's door and then get access to the engine compartment.
You will see a fuse box cover on the right as you stand in front of the car and look at the engine. Take the cover off and you will see a large metal tab to the left of the box. That is the positive terminal for jump starting.
Look at the engine and locate the large threaded stud on the left hand side. That's the negative terminal. It's some way off the other terminal, so if your jump start leads are short like mine were, you will either have to find another ground point or get an extension lead ( a standard jump start lead).
The jump start battery used about 50% starting the car.
Hope this helps.
deguy

Post by deguy »

Thanks for that, although I'm surprised to learn that the 12V battery is in the engine compartment (I just checked, and it is), because I also have a 12V battery in the boot, behind a cover next to the wheel arch. Confused I am.
Niro Spirit 2017 HEV in Ocean Blue (German spec similar to First Edition without ADAP)
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The 12V battery (the only battery) is in the boot, there are terminals connected to this battery in the engine compartment.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
h2onorth

Post by h2onorth »

Hi Philb and others. Presumably no side effects from the jump start under the bonnet? I ask this because the original information about how the engine started was via the hybrid system and the 12volt battery only ran the ancillary systems. Once the ancillary systems were on the hybrid battery got involved in starting the car either after moving off or immediately if hybrid system management required it. I suppose if the terminals you mention under the bonnet are connected to the boot battery only no problem?
Did you lose all your stored preferences on radio, sat nav, car controls and lighting?
h2onorth
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

PhilB, thanks for the post. Not much point having the booster pack in the boot! Just been out and put the booster and extension lead under the driver's seat. Have found the + ve terminal in the fuse box. Is the -ve connection the bolt in the silver mount with 'HEV' engraved in it?
Mike R
deguy

Post by deguy »

AlanW55 wrote: Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:31 pm The 12V battery (the only battery) is in the boot, there are terminals connected to this battery in the engine compartment.
Aha, got it, just terminals up front. Presumably as circled.

In the emergency responders document I linked in another thread, it says the following on jump starting:
Do not attempt to jump start the high voltage battery, it cannot be jump started. In case of full discharge of the high voltage battery, the vehicle must be towed as mentioned on the previous page.

In case the 12V auxiliary battery is discharged, connect a starting device to the jump terminal in the engine room as you would any 12V battery (see image). Refer to “Emergency Starting” of Owner’s Manual for additional information. Connect jumper cables in numerical order and disconnect in reverse order.

InkedIMG_20170910_182347_LI.jpg

InkedIMG_20170910_182333_LI.jpg

Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Thanks deguy. That's what I thought. Photos very helpful. Let's hope we never have to do it for real.
Mike R
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

Greenman wrote: Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:18 pm PhilB, thanks for the post. Not much point having the booster pack in the boot! Just been out and put the booster and extension lead under the driver's seat. Have found the + ve terminal in the fuse box. Is the -ve connection the bolt in the silver mount with 'HEV' engraved in it?
Good point about where to store a booster pack. I have been carrying mine in the boot.

However - you can get the boot open from inside the car by dropping the back seats and crawling to the emergency release mechanism at the bottom of the hatch - which would be a right faff. I will move my booster to under one of the front seats

Using a booster to jump start the car is explained in the owners manual by the way.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue