Trickle charge 12 volt battery

Kia e-Niro which offers an all-electric, zero-emissions powertrain
Lankyone2

Post by Lankyone2 »

I have a Sorento and motor bike both have trickle chargers connected without any problems. The Sorento is 13 years old and still on same battery due in my opinion to this. The bike is 8 years old with same state.
Only short trips apart from trips to France on the bike a couple of times.
I want to do the same on my eNiro 2 but not sure if this might cause any problems. Should check with dealership but thought I would use this question as method of joining this forum.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

The 12v battery is kept charged by the main HV battery if battery saver+ is enabled. So I can't see why you would want to bother, unless you rarely use the car and only charge it very infrequently. As to whether trickle charging would cause problems to the electronics, I don't know. Nor, I suspect, will your dealer......
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Optimist

Post by Optimist »

My First Edition had a flat 12 volt after I left a light on, so I couldn't start it.. To start the car it was only necessary to connect a trickle charger, as the presence of 12 volts gives the electronics the power needed to activate the main battery. Then the 12 volt battery will recharge as normal.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post