Not so smart cruise control

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Hi, I am new to this forum, I got my First Edition for 2.5 weeks now and love it, but start to dislike this smart cruise control more and more :cry:

Didn't get the chance to test this in a test drive as no First Edition was available, so didn't realise that it would disengage below about 5mph.
That is the whole point of adaptive cruise control, that it keep the distance especially in busy traffic, so you don't have to keep speeding up and breaking.
In my previous car (Mercedes B-Class - 2013) this worked perfect. It did slow down to a full stop, and if it was stationary for a few seconds, you had to 'trigger' the car to start following the car in front again. Not like this smart cruise control, where it slows down and then right at the moment where you think it will stop, it disengages. It also is inconsistent as in when you can activate it again, if there is no car driving in front, you can only activate it when you are driving 20mph or more, but if there is a car driving in front, you can already activate it already at 5 mph.

And you might think that this isn't so much of a problem, but if you are driving 30k per year of which 25k on cruise control (well maybe not so much any more now) then this makes a big difference. And yes I do drive on cruise control pretty much everywhere, I even used to switch it on in my street for 100 meters, to just switch if off for the first corner, and to switch it off again, straight after.
(Can't wait till autonomous cars are here) 8-)
David P.
Currrent Car: Niro - First Edition (Ocean Blue)
Previous Car: B-Class - 2013
Next Car: Autonomous - 2020

gimball

Post by gimball »

Uh tell me about it... I'd gladly pay someone to hack this stupidity.
djpfaff

Post by djpfaff »

Yes, anyone knows how to hack/improve/update this, so the adaptive cruise control slows down all the way to stop, I would be willing to pay for this as well, even better if it comes from Kia, so I won't loose my 7 years warranty ;)
David P.
Currrent Car: Niro - First Edition (Ocean Blue)
Previous Car: B-Class - 2013
Next Car: Autonomous - 2020

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post