Update Niro V Qashqai

All Kia Niro related discussions
m.scott

Post by m.scott »

I have now had the Niro 4 HEV for 2 weeks now. The good points of the Niro compared with the Qashqai.

Better fuel economy.
Better ride, 18inch wheels compared with 19inch on the Qashqai.
Better cornering, lower car.
Comfort is about the same
Acceleration about the same
Noise level in cabin, about the same when petrol engine is running, possibly Qashqai a bit quieter but not much.

The bad points
I am used to driving with my hands on the steering wheel at 10 to and 10 past and my right hand obscures the speed
display, I have to remove my hand or move my head to look at what speed I am doing, which is not really a problem.
The only thing I do still miss is the 360degree view, The Qashqai display would split into 2, one showing the reverse camera or front camera and the other display showing 360 view. It had rear, front and side cameras in each of the door mirrors which I used them every time I was driving into a tight spot or parking.

I have found that every morning that I start the car the petrol engine starts up, as I drive out of the garage I am running on electric with the petrol engine running to charge the battery. Once I pick up speed I am petrol only. I then come to a set of traffic lights and the engine is still running while I am stationary charging the battery, this is irrespective of how much charge is in the battery. I then stopped at a shop about a half a mile from my house and it showed that I had done 17.3 mpg, about the same as the Qashqai, with the battery about 3/4 full. I then travelled another one and a half mile of town driving and it showed 50mpg. Coming back I covered the 2 mile and got 63.5 mpg.
I find that once I am up to the required speed that I want, I take my foot off the accelerator until it shows that I am recharging the battery and then put my foot back on the accelerator I can cruise with it running on electric only.

Over all I am pleased with the car, just a shame instead of tilting door mirrors they could have put a camera in each mirror.
2021 Niro 4 HEV Pearl White

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

I'm taking delivery of a HEV 4 in September so will be able to comment then how I find obstructed view of the 7" display through the steering wheel, I'm like you regarding hand positions. (Our second HEV, we love the car)
The engine keeps running for the first couple of miles to get up to temperature ASAP also because the auto climate cabin heater is calling for heat. It can result in excessive fuel consumption on very short journeys. Switch the climate system off and the engine stops.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
m.scott

Post by m.scott »

I turned the air con off yesterday but yes the heater was on this morning
davethesteam

Post by davethesteam »

Re engine starting in the morning. Soon as you switch on, go to the 'Off button' and press it. That shuts off everything bar traction and lights
m.scott

Post by m.scott »

Thanks for the advice

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post