Niro in winter conditions - advice please

All Kia Niro related discussions
Mikakat

Post by Mikakat »

Hi All,

I wonder if you can help me? I am asking here as I really wanted some independent advice from current owners (rather than the garage).

I have got a new job (yay!) but it requires a bit of a commute. The shortest route (just under 30 miles) is through the Chilterns between Reading and Oxford. The roads are narrow country lanes and mostly tarmacked (but not the greatest quality). I currently have a little hybrid Yaris, but this hasn't coped amazingly well on the roads, especially as theres often grit on the roads, or rain (the yaris slid a lot and it was a bit scary).

So after a little bit of research, I thought that the Self-charging Niro 4 would be a good fit for me. Its larger and heavier than the Yaris, and so should cope with the wet and things better. Its also a hybrid so I will get good MPG (and its better for the environment). I did want the plug in but my work doesn't have a charging point so I'd only use the electric engine one way. So it would have to be the self-charging Niro.

However, when I went to the Kia garage, the salesman there said that the Niro won't cope in ice and winter conditions, as its front wheel drive and that I should buy the Sportage instead (the larger, non-hybrid 4 wheel drive version). However, the other salesman there anecodatlly said the Niro would probably be fine for most of the UK winter. I have never driven a car as large as the sportage, and I am a bit concerned about the fuel consumption on that car. We don't get a lot of snow and so it feels like getting 4 wheel drive for this is a bit of an overreaction. I also wanted to keep to a hybrid really.

So I was wondering how your Niro's coped in ice and in wintery conditions? I do have an alternate route I can go (down the M40) if the snow/ice is particularily bad but this adds 10 miles extra to the journey each way.

If you have any help or advice, or even just how good your Niro is in winter, I would really appreciate it.

Thanks a lot

Kat

dmrodgers

Post by dmrodgers »

Hi Kat

I have a Niro 4 self charging model like you are looking at and have had no issues what so ever driving in winter through, snow, ice and rain. Like any car you have to take into account the road conditions at the time. The Niro is a lovely car to drive with the fuel economy to go with it. The only issue you may encounter is in snow when the lane assist and anti collision sensor get covered in snow and then doesn't function until it drops off with driving or when the temperature rises a little. Had a Yaris myself on holiday last month in Portugal, the cars are like chalk and cheese, no comparison between the two, the Niro is far superior on all accounts.
MY18 Niro 4 Graphite
Stepshort

Post by Stepshort »

I live in Norfolk and just had our first winter in our Niro 4. It wasn't a harsh winter, but we had some ice and plenty of rain and the Niro coped really well , on what are probably similar roads to the Chilterns, and is currently doing just over 60 to the gallon. I will also say that it coped a lot better than my rear wheel drive Mercedes 'C' class that slides all over the place, even with traction control.
djbobbins

Post by djbobbins »

My Niro was okay in the snow and cold weather; more important to get some decent winter tyres or Michelin Crossclimates than go for 4x4.
HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

I have been driving a KIA Nito HEV level 4 (First Edition) for the last three years and am so delighted with it that I am now awaiting my second one to arrive later this month. The KIA salesman who was trying to sell you on a Sportage was just working for his commission. The Niro with front wheel drive will be far better in snow than rear wheel drive cars. It also has the Sport setting on the automatic gear stick for manual control whenever you may wish to over-ride automatic. I am getting around 65mpg in the Summer weather, less than that in winter when heaters cut into the fuel economy. But, all round, it is an excellent car. I recently drove a Sportage while on holiday - I found it a bulky and clunky vehicle with no attraction for me. Glad to get back to my Niro HEV.
Fields

Post by Fields »

djbobbins wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:23 pm My Niro was okay in the snow and cold weather; more important to get some decent winter tyres or Michelin Crossclimates than go for 4x4.
I agree with you here. Mine personally fares well in wintery conditions, however when it comes down to it, it really is all about your tyres when driving in the snow and ice. Never to be underestimated!
ron in new mexico

Post by ron in new mexico »

I drove only once in snow just after purchase.But I did change to snow tires and wheels about immediately after purchase. It did fine. Not as great as my Subaru crosstrek with snowtires,, as that is AWD, but pretty good. I went with the German brand sold here as Continental, for nonstudable snow tires. I had Michlins snows on my Subaru, and was not to impressed by their performance. Stock, energy saver tires here that come with the car, of course are no good in snow and have to be changed out, in anticipation of snow.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post