What the hell is 'ambient lighting' on a Niro 4 HEV ?

All Kia Niro related discussions
HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

I'm still struggling to get this 'ambient lighting' thing to work.

I have been into the menu on the central instrument cluster and found ' adjust ambient lighting colour' and also 'adjust ambient lighting brightness'. I have clicked on them both selecting blue and maximum brightness. But nothing happened !

The buttons and switches are still back-lit in red and I don't see any other lights which have changed to blue anywhere in the car. Am I looking for the wrong thing ?

I have been onto KIA and they confirm that my 2020 Niro4 HEV comes with Ambient Lighting as part of the spec. My local dealer has also taken a look, can't work it out and has promised to come back to me when he has checked with KIA UK. But that was a week ago now and still no info !

So, if you have enabled 'ambient lighting' on your HEV will you please tell me what and where it is so I can join in the enjoyment of this feature.

Thanks.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Ambient lighting usually refers to subtle led lights in the footwells, internal door handles, around the roof control panels etc. I had this on my Ford Focus Titanium X, but haven't seen it on the Niro.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Chantbead

Post by Chantbead »

On the HEV 4 the ambient lighting when enabled shows up beneath the horizontal silver trim on the dash, however, it has to be fairly dark to see it!
HaxbyPete

Post by HaxbyPete »

Chantbead wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:05 pm On the HEV 4 the ambient lighting when enabled shows up beneath the horizontal silver trim on the dash, however, it has to be fairly dark to see it!

Yes, I finally found it - and it really wasn't worth all the effort in doing so !

Ambient Lighting on my Niro4HEV 2020 seems to consist of just a feint blue glow beneath the silver trim over the glove box and to the right of the instrument cluster.

So what ? I ask myself. It doesn't change the colour of the back-lighting of the switches and knobs which still remain red or red or red. What a waste of design and engineering effort for so little effect !
Chantbead

Post by Chantbead »

HaxbyPete wrote: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:13 pm
Chantbead wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:05 pm On the HEV 4 the ambient lighting when enabled shows up beneath the horizontal silver trim on the dash, however, it has to be fairly dark to see it!

Yes, I finally found it - and it really wasn't worth all the effort in doing so !

Ambient Lighting on my Niro4HEV 2020 seems to consist of just a feint blue glow beneath the silver trim over the glove box and to the right of the instrument cluster.

So what ? I ask myself. It doesn't change the colour of the back-lighting of the switches and knobs which still remain red or red or red. What a waste of design and engineering effort for so little effect !
Yes, I can only agree, it certainly wasn't worth the effort of telling you where to find it!

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post