Illogical

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Having owned Niros since 2017, I thought I'd share some thoughts about issues that I consider to be illogical. Otherwise, I think the car is brilliant.

I would prefer the Speed Limiter to limit my speed to the set value, and then warn me if that speed is exceeded by a few mph e.g. when going downhill, rather than the other way round. (My 2017 Niro did the latter, much better.) Currently it bongs away as soon as I reach set speed, before the limiter kicks in, couple of mph higher.

Why do the folded door mirrors open when I approach the car? It's a nuisance when reverse parked, they open just as I'm squeezing past them. OK, I wait now, but why?

The brake lights only come on for regeneration level 3, I think level 2 is sufficiently strong for lights. Consequently I don't use regen in busy traffic, too many vehicles closing fast in the rear-view mirror

The regeneration paddles increase braking with the minus sign, and decrease it with the plus sign.

Auto-hold has to be switched on every new engine cycle.

Auto-hold keeps the brake lights on. I was told this was for safety. If so, why are the lights not on with the handbrake on?l

The handbrake only applies itself automatically (when switching off the engine) if auto-hold is set.

The windows and sunroof can't be remotely closed with the key fob after leaving the locked car. The number of times.......
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.

Jeffwithaj

Post by Jeffwithaj »

I have the new model so can only comment on that.

Speed limiter can be set accurately in settings. Brake lights come on at regen 2. Auto hold comes on each time I start the car. Handbrake can be set independently of auto hold, it always engages when switching car off.

My illogical thing is that Kia decided not to install any software for external media (via Bluetooth) so the tracks don’t play in order. Gracenote would have been nice.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Interesting that Kia has addressed my two main gripes, the autohold and the regen level 2 brake lights, in the new model. I'll chase Kia UK to see if my car's software can be upgraded, but I'm not holding my breath.......
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I replaced my 2016 Niro 2 HEV with a 2021 Niro 3 HEV. Both have proved to be excellent cars and perfectly suit our lifestyle.

Present car compared with the previous one has brought with it two irritants.

Economy is on average 4 mpg lower which I blame on the 18" alloy wheels

Presumable to satsfy legislation for electric cars to have a sounder to warn pedestrians you are reversing - KIA added a reversing sounder to the 2021 face-lifted model. It is as loud as those on lorries which irritates my wife more than me. I'm told KIA learned a lesson and the current new model is better in this regard.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue