Air con

Kia e-Niro which offers an all-electric, zero-emissions powertrain
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

Being an EV virgin, ;) I am struggling somewhat with some of the tech.
This morning I tried the A/C and the lowest temp I could wind it down to was 61F (16C) If that is Kia's idea of cold it isn't mine. outside temp was 62F
What am I doing wrong/not doing?
Help Please.
79 cars so far! Now 71 Reg eNiro 4+ Yacht Blue.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.

AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

Turn the temperature knob fully towards blue, press the CLIMATE button, take a photo of the screen and post it in a reply. Then we can see what's going on.
UK 2021 Mark 1 HEV 4 in silky silver, standard spec.
previously UK 2017 First Edition HEV in pearlescent white, standard spec.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

I have done all you said and the temp showing on the screen is 17C
I have spoken with the salesman, who conferred with a colleague who ran an eNiro as a company car. He confirmed that the eNiro LOWEST temp on A/C is 62F.
I have tried with circulating and non circulating air. No difference!
That is not my idea of cold A/C.I bet they don't sell many in Florida. Frankly I don't believe it.
All the cars (admittedly this is my first car without an ICE) had A/C that would freeze your nuts off (in time)
If it is true, the only reason I can think of, is that really cold would probably chew through the battery too quickly
P.S.
I have just spoken to Chalkes of Yeovil Service Dept (another Kia dealer I know & trust far more than Hendy!!) and they confirmed that Kia set the A/C minimum at 17C or 62 F and it cannot be altered,
At least I can get a nice cold bum with the ventilated seats! :lol:
So we will all just have to live with it
download/file.php?mode=view&id=432

IMG_20230714_124927440_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230714_124934408_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230714_124927440_HDR.jpg

Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

A puzzle indeed. I can set the temperature on my HEV to LO (sic), and the manual says the A/C will keep running continuously. Never tried it "to destruction" mind! The A/C on the HEV is electric so can't see the logic...wait a minute, I must remember not to keep using that word "logic" when it comes to Kia.....The ventilated seats are great, but they're not connected to the A/C.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

AHA!
Mystery solved!
You have a HEV. I have a BEV.....You have an ICE I don't! Everything on my car is powered either by the traction battery or the 12volt one which is charged by the the 400 volt traction battery.
Your A/C has a pump driven by your ICE.
A/C is basically a 'fridge'. It needs a compressor to compress the system. Your compressor is driven by the ICE. mine by the battery.
My Honda CR-V & previously HR-V both hybrids, had A/C that would freeze your nuts off, because on HEVs it is powered by petrol or diesel. Using your A/C uses a bit of petrol, which you would hardly notice.
On a Pure electric vehicle it will deplete the battery. Turning on the A/C on my eNiro costs me 10 miles of battery range and only goes down to 17c.
if it were to go down to the level your A/C goes to it would be prohibitively 'costly' in terms of depleted mileage available.
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.
AlanW55

Post by AlanW55 »

No, the A/C compressor in the HEV is electrically driven. It's a moot point anyway, since Kia have apparently introduced the lower temperature limit you cite in the Market 2 model. I've no further comment as I am not familiar with your car.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

I beg your pardon, my ignorance of Kia HEVs.
Although the compressor is electrically driven it does of course have the ICE to replenish the battery, hence the ability to go much lower in temperature.
A luxury a BEV does not have as once the traction battery contents have gone, that's it!
I am sure the reason I gave above is why the A/C on the BEV is so pathetic. I suppose, though, that 62F is cool enough if the outside is 75-80. If we get another summer this year, I will just have to wait and see :shock:
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.