CrashCams or What

New to the Kia UK Forums? Introduce yourself here
Yozza

Post by Yozza »

Hi, I have recently taken delivery of my third Niro. I went for the Niro 3 PHEV this time as a consious decision to make use of the mileage available on EV. Upto now I am more than happy as a 100% charge,at the moment, is giving me a 36mile range. Being retired this suits me fine as mosy of my travelling is local. I charge at home on an Ohme smart charger at a rate of 7.5p/unit with Octopus and it has cost me about £5 for the month of September and 360 miles on EV -so,touch wood,in the pre-winter weather I am delighted and my Niro is even nicer to drive than my previous Niros. However,I have a question. Since owning Niros there has always been a rumour that they are finally going to make use of the two 360 degree cams to incorporate crash cam recordings. At the launch of the new Niro the presenter said everyone is asking the same question and they are working on it . It is simply a software issue and,I believe, the recordings would be picked up via a USB stick. So everything is there to make it happen but two questions. 1, Will it be offered to existing users as an upgrade or2. will it only be introduced on new vehcles. Does anyone have comments on this? Let's face it the car is so well equipped that they must be running out of ideas of what telse to put in! Cheers Yozza

AlanHo

Post by AlanHo »

I rather doubt that such a feature would be offered as an upgrade. As you say - they must by now be running out of bells and whistles to add to their cars and they need to retain some ideas to attract us to buying a new future model.

Neither am I sure that the existing camera in the front of the car has an appropriate viewing angle to record number plates on approaching vehicles. My VIOFO dash cam has a 140° wide angle lens and can just about manage to do that. My previous dash cam had a 160° wide angle lens and onle recorded number plates in ideal conditions. I suspect the KIA camera has a wider angle lens and might struggle.
Currently Sept 2021 Niro 3 HEV in Ocean Blue