Niro 2 PHEV scheduled charging

Faults and Technical chat for the Kia Niro
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Is it just me or is there something odd going on with the scheduled timing for charging?
When I set up the car to charge overnight on my low rate electricity, sometimes it resets one of the times to 12.00 am, and it doesn't charge or it starts charging on peak rate.
I've managed to charge at the right time once out of four goes.
I think that I am going to have to check and check again to make sure all the times are correct. It's either a software bug or I'm going crazy!

I've only had the car a few weeks and am still getting to grips with it. First impressions are good - apart from this charging problem.

Car is a 72 reg Niro 2 PHEV in mineral blue.

Phil

PhilB

Post by PhilB »

Phew it's not just me. I have found several other people with the same problem on other forums. Seems like KIA know about the problem and are either unable or unwilling to fix it...
It seems to happen only on Niro 2 PHEVs.
Since I am using the 3 pin plug in charger, I have got round the problem by using a timer on the socket, and totally ignoring the scheduling option.
Incidentally it appears to be not worth having a 7KW charger installed. The difference in charging times between the 3KW charger and the 7 KW is less than 1 hour, 5 hr 5min to 5 hr 50 min, so my car says.
That's because the car's charging circuit only charges at 2.3KW (10A) on the 3KW charger and 3.3KW (14A) on the 7KW charger.
Phil
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

My PHEV charges from almost empty to full in well under three hours using my Wallbox Pulsar Plus charger (7KW), so I don't know why your car thinks it would take over 5 hours. I've never used the three-pin charger, so can't give a comparative charging time for that. Admittedly my car is a Niro 4, but there is nothing in the literature to suggest that your Niro 2 is fitted with an inferior charging system or battery... it should be the same as mine, and charge just as fast. Mine is scheduled to charge at night (I'm on Octopus GO) and it usually behaves, though just occasionally only charges to about 90%.
So you definitely have a problem, but I've no idea why it should only be affecting Niro 2s.
23 plate Niro 4 Plug-in Hybrid in Steel Grey
Also on my drive: 2015 Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSi "Elegance" DSG in Cappuccino Beige.
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I got the information from a KIA website: https://www.kia.com/uk/electric-hybrid- ... g-at-home/ and from a screen on my car called Energy Information.
The website has a table of charging times for different KIA models. It gives 2 hours 55 minutes for a Niro PHEV on a 7KW charger. Which is what you said, but it says that it's charging at 3.3KW not 7KW.
My car's screen gave the figures that I quoted. I can't verify those at the moment as my car still has some charge left in the battery. At 69% charge it's telling me that charging to full will take 1 hr 10 min on a 7KW and 1 hr 25 min on a 3KW charger, not much difference.
When I did a successful charge on Saturday early morning, it seemed to take about 4 hr 30 min or so, according to the smart meter in house display. I'm on Economy 7, so am keen to use the night rate. As long as it charges at the night rate it doesn't matter how long it takes really.
I think that I will just ignore the problem and use my timer since it works.
Phil
PhilB

Post by PhilB »

I must have misread the 3s as 5s. I have just looked again at the Energy Information screen now that I have used the battery up. At 16% battery charge and 0 miles electric power, it says 3hr 10m for 7KW and 3hr 45 min for 3KW.
Thanks for pointing out my mistake.
Phil

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post