Kia e-Niro a target for thieves?

Kia e-Niro which offers an all-electric, zero-emissions powertrain
sc489

Post by sc489 »

The test is to see if you can open the car standing next to the door with the key in the pouch.

Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

My Farady pouch (bought on EBAy about 6 years ago) was tested yesterday and works fine. I tried with my spare key which lives in the pouch and left my (used) key upstairs where I leave it every night.
Standing next to the car with the faraday pouch, the car would not even open the door mirrors and would not allow me to unlock it. When I tookk it out of the pouch everything opened as normal.
It also proved that my used key is safe from thieves in it's nocturnal resting place.
79 cars so far! Now 71 Reg eNiro 4+ Yacht Blue.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.
sc489

Post by sc489 »

The keyless entry can be disabled on my Niro 3 HEV by locking the car with the fob then pressing the fob lock and unlock buttons together for c. 5 secs until the indicators flash 4 times. Hopefully that defeats the Gameboy attack method too.

Also, the key is disabled if left static for c. 10 minutes denying theft by relay attack.

It's safer to use a metal tin with a screw top metal lid than a Faraday pouch prone to wear if your key is vulnerable to relay attack.
Colin Lambert

Post by Colin Lambert »

See my comments above.
eNiro key cannot be put to sleep, unfortunately!
Re my old Faraday, still working after at least 6 years.
79 cars so far! Now 71 Reg eNiro 4+ Yacht Blue.
Dip Mech Eng (automotive)
Mod Karoq & HR-V forums.

• You may also be interested in...
    Replies
    Views
    Last post